From September 2017, the Government have offered 30 hours of funded childcare per week for parents of 3 and 4 year olds, to help them continue or take up employment.
Department for Education Guidance
Guidance for the Department for Education states that parents will need to meet the following criteria to be eligible:
They earn or expect to earn the equivalent to 16 hours at National Minimum or Living Wage over the coming 3 months
- This equates to £120 a week (or £6,000 a year) for each parent over 25 years old or £112.80 a week (£5,800 a year) for each parent between 21 and 24 years old
- This applies whether you are in paid employment, self-employed or on a zero hours contract
Where one parent meets the income criteria above and the other is:
- Unable to work because they are disabled, have caring responsibilities or have been assessed as having limited capability to work
- On maternity, paternity, shared parental or adoption leave, or if they are on statutory sick leave
Where a parent is in a ‘start up period’ (they are newly self-employed) they do not need to demonstrate that they meet the income criteria for 12 months
If the parent is a non-European Economic Area (EEA) national, they must have recourse to public funds
Who will not qualify?
- Either parent has an income of more than £100,000 per year
- Either parent is a non-EEA national and subject to immigration control (and has no recourse to public funds)
What happens if a parent loses eligibility?
- They will receive a ‘grace period’ – this means they will be able to keep their childcare for a short period
- Once the grace period has lapsed, the parent may be entitled to the universal 15 hours
Check Your Eligibility
You can check whether you are eligible on the 30 hours of funded childcare eligibility checker We also have instructions to help you – please ask at the office.
If you are eligible, you will be given an 11 digit code. You will need to share this with us (along with your National Insurance Number and your child’s date of birth); we will then be able to offer you a place. You will need to reconfirm your eligibility every 3 months.
At Aclet Close Nursery School we offer 2 different options for parents/carers; please speak to Mrs Buttle in our school office for more information.